Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Butterfly Circus/ Encouragement for Struggling Believers

I am still here... just not writing much these days. We're continuing to have some real challenges with our son. I've been too tired to do anything beyond the everyday stuff that needs to get done! Have you ever been there? If so you can relate.

But God is faithful. As I just told a precious sister yesterday, He knows the beginning from the end. Our son is in His hands. Your situation, whatever it is, is in God's hands! I have a feeling someone reading this needs encouragement today so let me share two things: 

1.) Don't isolate yourself. If you're facing a battle in your life you need AN ARMY! You need sisters and brothers who will fight with you and storm the gates of hell in prayer. Don't allow the enemy to convince you that you should face it alone. Forget the lie that says you would be a bother to others. My dear friend - that's what the body of Christ is for. To bear one another's burdens! 

Look with me at what the Apostle Paul admonished believers: "Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2) Did you notice the last part of that verse? "Thereby fulfill the law of Christ." This means that when you ask another Christian to pray for you, you are actually helping them! How am I doing that? you might ask. You are helping them to mature and grow in Christ-likeness! You are helping that person to "fulfill the law of Christ." Have you ever thought of it that way? If not then I ask you to "chew" on that a bit. What a wonderful truth it is! Praying for one another is an absolute privilege. Right now I am praying for a dear reader and I count it a joy! So, please, if you're going through something, don't isolate. Instead seek prayer and counsel from other believers.

2.) Trust God yet ask Him for the grace to see a "glimpse" of what He's doing through your situation. What I mean is this: We can only see the past and the present (and even then we don't always see clearly). We certainly cannot see what's around the corner. In fact, you might compare our present reality to paddling a boat down a river. We can take in all the scenery as we pass by, but we are never able to see around the next bend. 

Furthermore, on some days we paddle in calm waters, and on others we go through nothing but rapids. And yet, in calm waters or rapids, in neither can we see what's just ahead. But I wonder: Why is it we tend to only fret about what lies ahead when we're in the midst of rapids? When things are going our way - when the water is placid, the scenery beautiful - all is good and we have a sense of peace. Hey - we're trusting God! 

But the minute the waters begin to churn....? Oftentimes when that happens we turn to self-comfort and our own (limited) understanding of things.

Friend, let me suggest another perspective for you. Consider this: While you and I are paddling downriver, only seeing what is around us, God is above - like an eagle. He has excellent eyesight to see the whole picture! Rather than merely having our "linear" perspective, He sees around the next bend in the river. But, even better than the eagle, God's "eyesight" is so keen that He's also able to see the end of all things


It's easy to forget this when you're hurting and you want easy answers. But His promise to you is to not only "work all things together for good" (Romans 8:28), but to also work "all things after the counsel of His will." (Ephesians 1:11) This means that not only is our God all-knowing, but that He in His wisdom actually allows the trials we face to come into our lives. They are trials "with a purpose." His purpose. Dear sister, trust that not only is the Lord sovereign, but that He is also loving. Remember, the Word tells us that He actually IS love. He would never do or allow anything to destroy you. That is what the enemy wants to do. (John 10:10) God will only prune you (John 15:2) - which may hurt - but He intends it for your growth and fruit-bearing. You can trust your heavenly Father's heart.

Finally, let me say that this is what the Lord did in my life. Though my husband's adultery was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced, it has brought about tremendous blessings in the end. My relationship with Jesus is deeper and more intimate than ever. I also have a strong marriage today because of the things God taught me in the process of restoring it. In some ways, strange as it is to say this, my husband's affair was probably the best thing to happen to us. So although you may not be able to see the "end" of your trial right now, ask God for hope. Ask Him to give you a peek into what He's currently doing in your life. Pray for the grace to believe that what the devil intends for evil, God intends for good. I believe He will give you the reassurance you desire.

Here are two verses that I hope will encourage you in these truths:


"It is good for me that I was afflicted, That I may learn Your statutes." Psalm 119:67



"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Finally, for the rest of my readers, I want to share the following short film with you. It's truly amazing! I was so blessed by it that I felt I needed to post it here. I have been a "fan" of Nick Vujicic for some time and it was great to see that he is a fine actor as well!

Please come back to comment if you get a chance. I'd love to hear what you think. May you grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ this week!



The Butterfly Circus - HD from The Butterfly Circus on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. I forgive you for deleting my comment. :) I just wish I could remember what I wrote and I'd write it again.

    I appreciate you and your posts so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again Karin! You're a blessing!

    ReplyDelete